Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Influential Music

My life has almost always been built around music. My parents raised me to 60's, 70's and 80's music on vinyl records and radio stations. Events in my life are recalled by a song that was playing when they happened. I don't ever remember not having music around, and now when there is no music on, I feel kind of empty.

As expected, music is a huge influence on my poetry. I thought you might be interested in what's engaging me right now, and where many of my ideas are flowing from. Here is a list of music I'm using to get me writing these days:

  • "2000 Decembers Ago" by Joy Williams
  • "What Child is This?" by Mercy Me
  • "I Want to Be with You" by Cory Asbury and Team (KC-IHOP)
  • "Jesus Is" by Hillsong Church London
  • "Rend the Heavens" by Isa Couvertier
  • "Samuel's Awakening" by Jason Upton
  • "A Lion Has Roared" by Jeremy Horn
  • "Soul Cry" by Misty Edwards
  • "Revelation 4-5" by Justin Rizzo and Team (KC-IHOP)

Christmas music? Yeah, I'm writing for Christmas right now. I have one called "This Child" and I am hoping for at least one more before the end. The others I have found to be very good at stirring my heart and my emotions as I write, bringing me closer to His ideas for the poems.

A lot of it is likely unknown to many of you because it comes from the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. Every two months we get a Limited Edition MP3 download of the "highlights" of the Global Prayer Room there, and every time we have found at least one song that touches us. It is an amazing place and an amazing resource for pure, heartfelt worship music.

Before I go, I need to ask for your help. It won't take long but I have a ten question survey that I need as many people as possible to fill out. It will really help me shape how I get the poetry to you, if you're interested in products or a book, and let me know how you're finding things.

Have a great week and I'll talk to you again soon. God bless!