Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Giving Really is Better

Thanksgiving in our house had always been a family thing. For a long time, we traveled to my grandparents home until they passed away several years ago.

Then that home was passed to my mother, so we went to the same home, only ate with my mom and brothers. Something was still missing.

Then three years ago my husband and I decided to make it about just our family. That was better, without the drama, but something was still missing.

In 2008 and 2009, it was our family and my youngest brother. Again, nice, but missing something.

This year changed EVERYTHING.

This year we invited a man I would call an acquaintance to eat with us. He is a former soldier, having done two tours in Iraq, going through some personal issues, and was going to be alone (save the dogs) on Thanksgiving. My husband and I found this to unacceptable.With some cajoling, prodding, and assuring him it was no burden, he came on Thanksgiving to eat with our family of five.

And it was the best holiday we have ever had.

We made him some dinner, talked to him for a couple hours, gave him the leftovers to take home, and it was one of the best feelings I've ever had. He was so thankful and appreciated having people to talk to. What was a simple gesture made such a difference to him, and us as well.

On Christmas Day, we're opening the doors of our home to any family or friends who want to come. I'm going to bake throughout the day and set out snacks and spend the day with the people we love and cherish.

And I suspect it will be the best Christmas I've ever had.

The old adage is true: Giving is truly better than receiving.